Focus on customer success
We do our business in collaboration with nature.
- Improved water management with innovative use of sphagnum moss (Accretio)
- Our packaging contains 80% recycled plastic, while all of our packaging is recyclable
- We test our growing media solutions before sending it to our customers to ensure safe use and prevent crop loss
- Almost all our products are biodegradable and can be composted after use
- We aim for responsible sourcing through independent certification (like RPP or FSC) or our raw materials
- 100% certified resp produced peat in own production
- 100% Code of Conduct signed by contract suppliers
Growing together for better future
With our customers and stakeholders, we can create a future where we all, as an industry, are able to meet the global sustainability challenges and generate revenue in a sustainable way. Together with our customers we grow for a better future.
Kekkilä-BVB as partner in sustainability
- Innovation focused on sustainable customer success
- Continuous quality monitoring
- Responsible sourcing of raw materials
- Decision-making based on chain approach
- Would you like to know more about our sustainability objectives? View our Sustainability Roadmap here
Before a new substrate mixture is developed, several phases have been completed. From the vision of Kekkilä-BVB, research directions are defined within which projects can be initiated. A new project will only start if all preconditions are met. A new substrate to be developed must meet a large number of criteria at Kekkilä-BVB Research, such as general, chemical, physical and phytosanitary substrate properties.
The general characteristics relate, among other things, to the availability, environmental impact during extraction, transport, use and processing, possible reuse, food safety and the safe processability of the substrate (mixture) in the factory. In addition, there is always an efficiency consideration. Chemical substrate characteristics mainly focus on electrical conductivity, which is a measure of the total dissolved salts available to the plant and the pH or acidity of an extract of the substrate.
In addition, the composition of the main and trace elements in the substrate is important to obtain an optimal growing condition. In addition, it is checked whether there are too many heavy metals present.
With physical substrate characteristics, one should especially think of an optimal water-air ratio, the water absorption rate, the water retention (water retention), a good structure for rooting and sufficient stability of the substrate. With the phytosanitary properties, it is checked whether there are no weed spores and harmful and / or pathogenic micro-organisms in the substrate. In addition, no germ and growth inhibition should occur. Kekkilä-BVB Research works with professionally qualified people with a passion for product development and research into the properties of the product in order to improve the total end product.